Do you employ casuals? Do you know about the new Casual Employment Information Statement? We have put together some information to help you understand your obligations.
What is the new Casual Employment Information Statement (CEIS)?
The Fair Work Ombudsman have produced a new CEIS which employers must provide to casual employees. This includes current (engaged prior to the 27th March 2021) and new casual employees.
Why do I need to comply?
Last month, Parliament passed Schedule 1 of the Fair Work Amendment (Supporting Australia’s Jobs and Economic Recovery) Bill 2021 which includes significant changes to casual employment. Changes include providing employees with a CEIS, along with an updated version of the Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS). These are now legal requirements.
What has changed in the FWIS?
Updates have been made to the FWIS and changes include:
- A reference to the need for casual employees to also be provided with the CEIS on commencement; and
- Casual conversion in the NES summary.
What am I required to do?
There will be a 6-month transition period for employers to establish systems and processes. This is designed to help you meet new requirements. The transition period commenced on Saturday, 27 March 2021.
As an employer with casual employees, you will be required to comply with the following:
- New Casual Employees: All employers must give every new casual employee a copy of the CEIS before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
- Existing Casual Employees: Small Business Employers (fewer than 15 employees): Must give existing casual employees a copy of the CEIS as soon as possible.
- All Other Employers: Must give their existing casual employees (employed before 27 March 2021) a copy of the CEIS as soon as possible after 27 September 2021.
You can give casual employees the CEIS either in person, by mail, by emailing a copy of the statement or a link to the statement on the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website (if the employee agrees). The CEIS can be provided to casual employees at the same time as an employer provides the FWIS.
Where can I get the new documents?
Click here to download the CEIS.
Click here to download the FWIS.
Do you need some help getting your head around the changes or implementing systems and processes? Get in touch with Lisa or Nick at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or call (07) 46383599.